Halkidiki Skala Fourkas
Fourka is 105 km from Thessaloniki and attracts thousands of tourists. As the traveler comes first sees the beautiful coast, the so-called ladder Fourkas. At a distance of 2 km is the village. The natural beauty and history of the village combined with modern hotel facilities and nightlife. Remarkable is the traditional hospitality of the people that create the conditions to have a great visitor. Fourka not without historical interest. An inscription on the cemetery church of St. Athanasius takes us back to Roman times. The Byzantine findings that recently came to light in the ruins of the holy Church of St. John, as well as the chapels and houses (remarkable for their architecture) are examples of the progress of this place in time. The residents of Fourka participated in the revolution of 1821. A great fighter of the revolution of 1821 was George King. A village full of greenery.
A paradise of pines, olives and all sorts of trees and flowers. A place where the sea shines in the sun, wide, peaceful and mingle with the mountain pine. The clear water of the beach road is well-deserved "the blue flag of Europe." The beauty of the landscape complements the sunset with red, purple and orange hues that paint the horizon.
Apart from the natural environment, excellent tourist organization makes the visitor's stay comfortable and enjoyable. Satisfaction of the tourists enhances ensuring entertainment. In the cosmopolitan beach of Fourka, nightlife becomes frenetic pace and fulfills all the desires of the visitor. Sure, unforgettable stay in the visitor tours along the coast or in the woods surrounding the village.
Another rather large village on west coast of Kassandra Peninsula is Fourka. Fourka is divided into 2 settlements: the traditional village and seaside settlement "Skala Fourkas", which are at a distance of 3 km. Skala fourkas is a very popular summer destination, as there are famous beach bars, water sport centers, nightclubs and bars, shops and fish taverns. Skala Fourkas is famous for its atmospheric sunsets, which color the sky with beautiful red and orange shades. Fourka combines nature, as there are pine and olive trees, flowers and hiking routes around the village, with entertainment and nightlife. An interesting walking trail that starts from the village and leads to Kassandria is Kassandria-Lekani-Fourka hiking route.
In Fourka there are many churches, worth visiting:
- The central church of Fourka, called "Tris Ierarches" (three prelates), which was designed by the architect Xenofonta Peonidi, from Fourka. Behind the church there is a monument of fallen Fourka citizens during period 1840-1930.
- Agia Paraskevi church, constructed in 1857 and located in the centre of the village.
- An old church of Agios Athanasios, built in about 1600, with admirable frescoes. The church is located in Fourka 's cemetery.
- Zoodochou Pigi church, at Mavroutsa site in the mountains. There were wall paintings, from which only one is still visible. At Mavroutsa site there was an old settlement, which was destroyed at some point by pirates.
- At the opposite mountain there is another old church, called "Panagias Meletis". It is located in the position of a former settlement and it is domed cruciform.
- Agias Marinas church is a newest one. Every year on 16th July Agias Marinas feast takes place. This is the biggest feast in Kassandra peninsula, in which it is worth participating.
Other sightseeing in Fourka include some old houses on Skala Fourka beach, among which are old fishermen homes and a historical warehouse. Near the coast there are also buildings of archaeological value. Some byzantine findings were found at the remnants of the temple of Agios Ioannis. Another sightseeing is a rare mill, where barks were grinded and a special powder was developed This served as paint, which made fishing nets more resistant. At the central square of Fourka beach there is an old cannon, recovered from the sea, where it remained for about 70 years. The cannon is rescued from 1940 war.